Saturday, March 24, 2007

Chagall and Crosses

I haven't felt much like blogging since getting back from Central America - and I'm now on Facebook, where I feel loved as people are always wanting to be my friend:) But I was reading Helen McLean's review of Jonathan Wilson's biography of the painter Marc Chagall, published in The Globe & Mail book section today. She writes:
"Chagall had no wish to convert to Christianity, Wilson says. What he wanted was to reclaim Christ for the Jews, not as messiah but as a poet and prophet. He was obsessed with the concept of the crucified Christ as a universal symbol of martyrdom, painting it often and eventually even identifying with that tortured figure. In a late painting of the crucifixion, he wrote "Chagall" in Hebrew letters at the head of the cross."

No comments: